Episode 417 of Why My Toddler is Crying: Bait and Switch Dessert

Setting -- Dinner Time. J has a specific amount of carbohydrates to eat that was calculated for his insulin shot given before dinner. 

J: "I'm full. I don't want dessert." (Dessert was two dried apricots)
Me: "Ok. Drink your milk." Think he will change his mind about dessert as usual.
J: "No. I'm too full. I just want to be done."
Me:...still thinking he will change his mind. A few minutes later, "Do you want dessert?"
J: "No. I'll have dessert tomorrow."
Me: Alright. Are you sure?"
J: "Yes. Tomorrow."
Me: "Ok, well you need more because of you medicine. Do you want some more fruit? You won't get dessert if you eat more fruit."
J: "YES!!!"
Me: gets J some more fruit that we had with dinner. 
J: after eating, "I'm done. And I drank my milk. Now I want dessert."
Me: "Sorry, you can't have dessert."
J: "But I want dessert."
Me: "I specifically recall you telling me that you don't want dessert and you want it tomorrow instead."
J: bursts into big wailing sobs. Inconsolable.
Me: "We can have dessert tomorrow."
J: through tears, "But I don't want dessert tomorrow. We only eat dessert in the winter."
Me:....
J: crying....
Me: "Do you want another piece of meat?"
J: "Yes, that will make me feel better."

Stay tuned next time for another episode of Why My Toddler is Crying. It's always a surprise!

Comments